Societies and Clubs are able to book rooms without charge through the Central Timetable Office (CTO), this is fantastic facility which supports these groups in organising activities.
However, this is only possible during the undergraduate term time, on weekends, or between the hours of 6pm and midnight Monday to Friday. Most societies/clubs are not currently able to book rooms outside of these times such as over the summer/Easter breaks or during the day in term time.
This university policy has a direct impact on when these groups can operate and discriminates against overseas, part time, mature and post graduate students as well as negatively affecting undergraduates who are about over the summer.
Many overseas students and postgraduates remain on campus outside of term time as do many undergraduates.
Many part time or mature students are unable to attend events outside of working hours as they have childcare or similar responsibilities.
I would like to suggest the SU campaign for the following changes:
1) Societies and Clubs should be able to book unused rooms over the holidays for their activities.
2) Societies and Clubs should be able to book unused rooms during the day where the activity is of an educational nature and will not disturb those in the nearby rooms.
Idea has been approved.
The idea will be taken to the next Students' Union Executive Meeting on Thursday.
VP Student Activities, VP Services and Communications and VP International will take this idea forward and liaise with the University.
Student feedback has been collected and we have requested to meet the university timetable manager. We are waiting for the university to set a suitable time/date to meet.
Student feedback has been collected and we have requested to meet the university timetable manager. Meeting is scheduled to be on 7/11/16.
As a result of a meeting with CTO it is now in the works that society room bookings flexibility will, in future, expand to possibly Wednesday afternoons and also outside undergrad term-time. Booking before 6pm term-time are being looked into but must be kept reserved for academic purposes.
We are looking at having Wednesday afternoons and weekends during holiday periods. The idea has become a society room booking issue and has been taken to the student experience committee. We are looking into finding more space and time, and also buildings and rooms that are not as used.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.
Please click on a box above to view comments on this idea