Especially as students, we don't always have money but we always have time. Time banking is an alternative, time-based currency that lets you contribute a skill or talent in exchange for free services from other members of your community.
For example, a person can cash in the credit earned from an hour of volunteering for an hour of being taught how to play the guitar. The list of services would reflect all skills or talent we have. It would be way to promote the feeling of community and knowing that support is out there. This project would make of UoE one of the most innovative SU as very few uni's in UK are using this system.
Generating a Time Banking system would require an online platform (where any students/teacher could become a member) as well as a team responsible for the project.
No student push behind this
Idea has been approved.
It is a National scheme and so it was suggested we just link up with this.
The meeting about time banking student idea led to the idea of SU Connekt which would be more of a social skill swap opportunity on a 1 to 1 basis as a chance for people to also make new friends whilst learning a particular skill/helping someone out. Still in the works but on hold until urgent priorities are dealt with.
We are currently in discussion with the student to improve the idea.
Even if the idea has received the number of votes necessary to be worked on, the students' interest decreased in time and the idea has been dropped as a consequence.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.