The University should change it's default search engine to Ecosia. Ecosia is a company that uses it's ad revenue to plant trees all over the world. Currently they have planted over 13 million trees and plan to have planted one billion trees by 2020, but with our help I believe they could easily beat this goal. Here is their website: https://www.ecosia.org/
The idea has passed the voting stage and will be discussed in the next Executive Meeting.
The Executive Team has decided that Tancrede Chartier will lead the idea.
After a meeting with the University's Director of IT Services we have decided that he will meet with his team to dicuss how good is Ecosia in comparison to Chrome and to decide if it will be the default browser or a choice for students. If they will be satisfied with its functionality we will firstly implement Ecosia on the students' computers and then we will install it to the staff's computers.
Richard Murphy, the head of IT for the University, is working on it.
After discussions, the University decided to add Ecosia to their new software portal so it is available for download but didn't want to implement it across University computers. Although, Students' Union staff were instructed to set Ecosia as their default search engine and as of this month have been responsible for planting over 100 trees through using Ecosia. This idea has now progressed as far as it can go.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.
Please click on a box above to view comments on this idea