money / consumer stuff

We all know that student life can often mean living on a budget.  SU Advice is here to give you practical advice and information to help you make the most of your money. We can help with the following:

  • Provide advice and information about your basic rights as a consumer
  • Basic advice on paying and reclaiming tax
  • Advice on council tax - for example if you believe you have been wrongly charged
  • Setting up billing accounts and paying bills
  • TV licencing
  • Repayable Short-term Hardship Loan
  • Provide HC1 - Help with Healthcare cost application forms
  • Free contraceptives

If you have any questions regarding Benefits and Debt Management we suggest you visit the University Student Support Office webpages for further advice



Apply for a hardship loan

Terms and Conditions:


- Applicants must be currently registered students (you will be required to present your Student Registration Card at the point of collecting the loan if your application is accepted)
- Applicants must complete an application form and provide details as to why they require a loan, when and how they intend to be able to repay the loan
- Standard loans amounts are between £5 and £100, however, in exceptional circumstances requests for larger loan amounts may be considered at the SU Advice Manager’s discretion. If you are asking for a larger loan amount you may be asked to provide further details/evidence when your application is processed.
- All loans are interest free but must be repaid.
- Unless there are exceptional circumstances (pre-agreed) loans must be repaid by the end of the academic year
- Any loan not repaid by the end of the academic year (unless with prior agreement) will result in the student being registered in debt with the University. This may result in you being unable to graduate or re-register for your next academic year until the loan has been repaid.
- Applications for loans to pay off a debt to the University will be refused
- Applications to pay for accommodation, rent or deposits will be refused
- Applicants who have previously been registered in debt to the University for non
-repayment of an SU Hardship loan will be refused.
- Students are eligible for a maximum of one loan per term
- No further loans will be considered whilst previous loan repayments are still outstanding.


It is important that all clients are aware of the following when submitting their Hardship Loan application: By submitting this application form, I confirm the information provided in this application is true, and that I have read and understood the Hardship Loan Terms and Conditions (as above) and agree to abide by them. I understand that if I fail to repay, the debt will be passed to the University and will prevent me from graduating or re-registering for my next year of study and that no further loans will be permitted.


Data Protection Act 1998: To ensure the effectiveness of our service the SU Advice Centre keeps a record of your enquiry. We also need to keep your details so that we can contact you, if necessary, about your loan. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you have a right to see any records we keep about you.


Everything you tell us will be treated confidentially. By submitting this form, you are giving consent to information regarding yourself and your circumstances being held in the SU Advice Centre. Please be aware that due to the nature of the Hardship Loan process, if your application is approved basic details of your loan will need to be shared with the SU Reception and SU Finance team (name and loan amount), no details of the circumstances that have led you to require a loan will be shared.


Please also be aware that by submitting this application, you are giving consent for your basic details (name, registration number and loan amount) to be shared with the University of Essex Income and Finance Department should you fail to repay your loan. No details of the circumstances that have led you to require a loan will be shared.


In some cases we may need to seek further information from Student Support regarding any previous loans you have taken with them. Unless you state otherwise (see the question below), by submitting this form you authorise the staff of the SU Advice Centre to correspond with the University of Essex Student Support Office regarding any previous loans taken.”


To apply for a hardship loan, click the link below and complete the form: