Emergency Contacts To Know for Colchester

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

It is extremely unlikely that you will need these emergency contacts, but being well-informed takes only a few minutes and might benefit you and your friends later on. There are nation-wide and on-campus services that you are entitled to as a student. Remember to always carry your ID with you and save key contacts on your phone, just in case.

If you are an international student, emergency services are different from country to country, and so it is important to familiarise yourself with the services offered in the UK.



Academic Buildings:

If there is an emergency whilst you are on campus, do not call 999. You will need to phone campus patrol or security officers by dialling telephone extension 2222 or if ring from your phone use 01206 872222.


Towers, Houses, South Courts and Wolfson Court:

Do not call 999 yourself, patrol officers who are trained first aiders, are available 24 hours. They will assess the situation and arrange attendance of emergency services where required. Telephone 224 2222 from an emergency phone or Studentcom, or 01206 872222 from a mobile phone, and ask for the required service (first aid, ambulance, security) and give your location.

In a non-emergency phone the Information Centre on 224 2125 from StudentCom or 01206 872125 from a mobile phone


The Copse, the Meadows, and the Quays:

Do not call 999 yourself. For both emergencies and non-emergencies call 224 3866 from emergency phone or Studentcom, or 07460 373172 from a mobile, and ask for the required service (first aid, ambulance, security) and give your location. There is 24-hour security available.


Security Team

Patrol Officers are located on Square 3 in the Information Centre. They’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They’re friendly and always willing to assist. All of them are also first aiders.


Call 01206 872125 from an external phone or 224 2125 from the StudentCom PC phone from accommodation.

Other useful numbers:

Colchester Hospital - 01206 747474

University Health Centre – 01206 794484



It’s a good idea to add these numbers to your mobile to use in an emergency when out and about.

If you are in an emergency off campus that requires urgent attention from the emergency services, call 999. You will be asked if you need an ambulance, the police or the fire services.

Police: The police in the UK are helpful and can be approached by anyone, and can be reached on the phone number 101. However, if it is an emergency, you should contact 999 and ask for the police department.
The number to the Essex Police station is 01245 491491.

Fire: If there is a fire emergency, you should call 999 as quickly as possible and ask for the fire department.

Medical: If there is a medical emergency, you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you do not need an ambulance but feel you need medical attention and you are unable to get to a local doctors surgery or it is out of hours, you can call 111. This is the NHS helpline and they will put you in contact with a doctor who will assess over the phone if you need to go to hospital, have an out of hour’s doctor visit you or if you are safe to wait till you can get to your local doctor.



If you have any non-urgent health issues that you need help with, the best option for you is to contact the University Health Centre (which is run by the NHS) or your GP.

You are not registered with the NHS automatically, and you must do this during your first weeks at University (you will receive an email about this during fresher’s week). And you will need to register with a GP; you will be given advice on how to do this in fresher’s week too.

If you have any questions concerning your health you can contact your local hospital or the National Health Service (NHS).

Accidents and emergency related health issues are free for everyone in the UK. If you are an EEA student you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card which will allow you to get free medical treatment in the UK. But there could be fees for more specific treatments if you are a non-EEA student.

NHS medical non-emergency – 111



Sexual health testing is free in the UK as well as most types of contraception.

You can get tested at the University of Essex Health Centre just behind the Rayleigh tower on the north side of campus, every Monday and Wednesday between 5pm and 7pm during term time. Make sure you arrive early as it usually fills up quickly. They can also prescribe different types of contraception to you, and answer questions about any other questions regarding sexual health.

You can also go to the clinic in Colchester at 66 High Street.

The University of Essex Health Centre can provide emergency contraception at any time (if you urgently need contraceptive methods, you can go to the clinic on High Street).

You can get free condoms as well as free chlamydia tests from SU Reception.

Nightline also provides condoms during opening hours and SU Advice sells pregnancy tests for £2.

SU Advice can also provide information and services for sexual health.

More information for Colchester Students



Some dentists will accept National Health Service (NHS) patients, but some will not, meaning you have to pay to have an appointment. There are both NHS funded and private dentists near all three campuses, so do some research before you go to compare prices and see what different places offers. You might need to register with a dentist before you use their services.



Well-being and mental health are just as important as physical health, and we recognise this so we have services to help.

Many staff members are mental health first aid trained, and you can read more about well-being ambassadors here, if you are interested in helping others you can also sign up to be a well-being ambassador here.

SU Advice are our main service that provides help and information on mental health and well-being. Find them here.

You can also use the counselling directory to find local support outside of the university.

The university also has a support network for students. You can find guides to support services here too.

If you need help and support for mental and emotional health the university also have a page with all the information you need.

Your Student Services Hub is the place to go for the information you need. They have expert advice and are happy to answer any question. You can find the details for your campus student services below.


Based in Colchester all students are welcome to contact Nightline. This is a confidential listening, emotional support, information and supplies service, run for students by students, with trained volunteers.

You can come in to see them on the ground floor in the Keynes Tower on the North side of campus. You can also call them on 01206 87 2020 extension 2022 and talk about any issue you might have.

If you do not want to talk to someone directly, you can send an email to

They are open from 10pm to 8am every night during term time.

If you have a mental health emergency, you can contact the on-campus emergency service, which you can find details for in the emergency information section.

You can also find local emergency crisis support here.

And you can contact Samaritans here.



The UK is known for its bad weather and if you are from a warmer climate, it can be quite difficult to adjust. It is very dark during the autumn and winter months in the UK, and this is something you might not be used to.

Not being exposed to enough sun can lead to vitamin D deficiency, seasonal depression and general illnesses. If you are noticing yourself feeling very tired, unmotivated and sad, it might be because of the lack of sunlight and you might want to visit a local pharmacy for advice or your GP.

The UK also experiences really bad weather and storms occasionally, your University campus should update you on procedures during these storms, but you can update yourself on any weather warnings that have been released in your local area using BBC Weather (there is an app for this too where you can set up alerts).


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.