Good Neighbour Guide


Benefits of being a good neighbour


  • Your neighbours won’t complain about you and will be more accepting of your gatherings.
  • They might lend you things you need, that you haven’t had time to buy.
  • You all would feel safer.
  • They might have a car and offer you a lift somewhere.
  • Living off campus is a great opportunity to learn about living away from home in a diverse community - handy for when you graduate. Getting it right now can really help the transition.




  • All black sacks, recycling and food waste should be placed outside your house by 7am on collection day (by the kerb).
  • Make sure you don’t put your rubbish out earlier, as animals can rip the bags and cause a lot of mess. Bags should be tied up tightly, too.
  • Avoid fly tipping (dumping waste illegally) – this can lead to a fine and even a possible criminal record.
  • For Christmas, New Year and Bank Holidays – look at your recycling calendar, or on the black sacks.
  • If you don’t have recycling bags, you can either order them here or pick them up from the SU reception.


Recycling Calendar

Blue Week
  • Clear Bags: paper, cardboard, card, clothes and shoes.
  • Green Recycling Box: glass, cans, foil and aerosol cans.
  • Biodegradable bags in the small kitchen caddies: Cooked and uncooked food waste (put filled bags in the small green bin provided for collection).
Green Week
  • Cooked and uncooked food waste.
  • Plastic i.e.: Bottles (crushed) in clear bags
  • No polystyrene
  • Garden waste in up to 4 garden sacks
Collection Days
  • Greenstead - Wednesday
  • Harwich Road - Tuesday or Wednesday
  • Wivenhoe - Wednesday


  • Noise is a part of everyday life, but excessive noise can affect a person’s physical and mental wellbeing.
  • The most common sources of noise include loud music, voices, banging doors and vehicles.
  • The level of noise may not be the problem, but the time, location and duration may be. For example, shouting or loud music may cause even more of a problem in the evening or at night. However it is important to remember that there is no time of day when loud noise is permitted, as it can cause a nuisance at any time.
Music and TV
  • Keep the volume and bass levels down – bass easily passes through walls, floors and ceilings.
  • It can help to close windows (although bear in mind this won’t stop sound being passed through walls and floors.)
  • Avoid playing music outdoors – this is likely to cause complaints.
  • Keep speakers and TVs off the floor where possible on a suitable stand, and avoid placing them against a wall.
  • Can you use headphones instead?
  • If you play a musical instrument, try to use a suitable practice facility. If not, practice for short periods during the day and let your neighbours know
  • Consider your neighbours and give them plenty of notice (or even invite them!), this might prevent them from making a complaint
  • Let Environmental Protection at Colchester Borough Council know in advance or 01206 282 812
  • Start and finish at a sensible time – Environmental Protection can advise you on this.
  • Keep volume and bass levels down
  • Say goodbye to visitors indoors
  • Ask taxi drivers to knock at the door rather than sounding the horn outside
  • Ask your guests to leave quietly. Some of your neighbours may have young children, or have to get up early for work the next morning, for example
What if someone submits a noise complaint?
  • Someone may report a noise complaint to the Environmental Protection team ( or 01206 282 812.
  • Let Environmental Protection at Colchester Borough Council know in advance or 01206 282 812
  • Firstly, Street reps visit this property to let the residents know about the complaints and how these might be prevented in the future. Street reps carry out up to 3 visits, but if the complaints persist, other authorities are notified.
  • The council will write to the household in question, or visit them to make them aware of the complaint and their responsibilities to their neighbours
  • If the problem is seen as more severe, or the address has been complained about before, a noise investigation letter will be sent to the address, as well as the landlord or letting agent.
  • The council will also ask the person submitting the complaint to complete a diary sheet. If the diary sheet suggested continued noise, the council will send a final warning letter and will arrange to obtain evidence. This is usually either in person via a police officer, or by the use of recording equipment from the complainant’s house. The assessment of the noise disturbance is made from the complainant’s property and how it interferes with their enjoyment of where they live, not just the noise level.
  • If evidence is obtained, a noise abatement notice will be served on the person responsible, in this instance the proctor and landlord are notified as well.
  • • If there is further evidence that the notice is breached,this may lead to a fine of up to £5000 and a criminal record.


No, sorry! You can even report abandoned trolleys with the Trolleywise App.