Essex SU - Results Guide


Exam results will start to be released over the next few days, so we've put together a handy guide to explain what to do if you haven't got the grades you wanted.

Options if you don’t get the grades you want

The University won't allow you to continue if you've failed a core module, or you've failed more than 30 credits, and in some instances other restrictions might apply depending on your specific course.

The main options that will be offered are:

  • Resit

These happen in September, and cost £40. Your marks will be capped at 40, and you'll need to resit all of your failed modules. Because resit marks are capped at 40, it's not worth resitting unless you've failed.


  • Repeat the year full time

This means you'll be going to the same lectures/classes/labs as this year, and doing the same assessments. You can't submit the same pieces of work again though. You'll need to pay another year of fees. If you're funded by Student Finance England they'll allow you one extra year of funding.

If you're an international student then you'll need to check with the International Services Team about funding.


  • Repeat your course part time

This means that you won't move on to the next year, and you'll be retaking any failed modules. Once the pass them you can move on to the next year of study. You'll need to pay for each module that you're taking. If you're funded by Student Finance England you'll need to contact them to ask whether they can fund you - but they'll only cover your tuition fees, and won't be able to give you a maintenance loan so you'll need to find another way to cover your living costs.

Tier 4 visas currently don't allow for part-time study. If you have specific questions it's best to contact the International Services Team.


  • Repeat part time without attendance.

This means you don't need to attend lectures but just return for assessments. You can move on to the next year once you pass any failed modules. The fees for this are £40 per module.

If you're an international student then you'll need to check with the International Services Team about what effect this will have on your visa.



If you've applied for campus accommodation and are repeating part time you might decide that you don't need the room anymore.  You should contact the University immediately so your room can be offered to someone else. 

If you've already signed a private contract it might be more difficult for you to end your tenancy. SU Advice can check your contract to see whether there's a break clause, or you might need to find another student to take your room.


If you're not happy with results or the progression options from the Board of Examiners you can only appeal on these grounds:

  • “Extenuating circumstances of which the Board of Examiners was unaware and of which the student could not reasonably have been expected to inform the Board of Examiners in advance”

This means there were strong reasons why these extenuating circumstances weren't reported before the deadline. If you think you've got a strong case for this, you'll needevidence to demonstrate why you haven't been able to submit them yet. Make sure in your statement that you address not only what your circumstances are and how you feel they have affected your work, but also why you couldn't have provided them before the Exam Board meeting. This might be, for example, later diagnosis of an illness/medical issue.


  • “Procedural irregularities in the conduct of the Board of Examiners (including alleged administrative error) of such a nature as to cause reasonable doubt as to whether the result might have been different had they not occurred”

This would include situations like misreporting of marks on your transcript or irregularity in the conduct of the Board of Examiners. This is the only way a piece of coursework will be remarked.


The board won't accept appeals for:

  • Disagreement with a mark or grade or of the judgement of examiners 
  • Changes to informal marks throughout the year
  • Extenuating circumstances which you could have reported earlier.
  • Disagreeing how extenuating circumstances were applied, and how they affected performance
  • Just missing out on a higher class of degree
  • Complaints about teaching or other arrangements during the year

SU Advice can offer support on the appeals process and even check over forms before you submit them, but they do get very busy at this time of year, so contact them as early as possible.