Essex SU Trans Officer
Currently, Essex SU thrives on being the home of liberation. We welcome all students from all walks of life and of all backgrounds. This currently sees us represent students with four Liberation Officers: BAME, Women’s, LGBT*, and Disabled.
The introduction of a Trans Officer looks set to increase the representation and support available to students at Essex that identify as Trans or Non-Binary. This doesn’t weaken the LGBT* Liberation, it strengthens it, giving a dedicated officer to this key area of liberation.
This student idea mandates the Students’ Union to introduce a Trans Officer. The timeline for this would be as follows:
Step 1: Student Idea
Step 2: Network infrastructure and roles decided (summer 2017, involving LGBT* Officer 2016-18) Step 3: Trans Officer 2017/18 elected (October 2017 Leadership Race)
Has been passed, to be elected in October ‘17
Idea has been approved.
The Idea received more than 60% of the vote and therefore has been accepted. The executive committee will be working to make this happen in time for October's elections.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.
Please click on a box above to view comments on this idea