I propose that we create a safe space for student parents like her, so they can study while they have their children with them. That way they won't risk being excluded from the essential services all students are entitled to.
What if we put a room aside for student parents, a child-friendly room which also had desks, computers and a printer. In this room, there would be children's toys at one end. That way the children can be entertained while their parents get their work done, in a safe and welcoming area. There could be booklets placed in the room with links to the online library databases so the student parents can research for their assignments without needing to take their children to the library, and maybe booklets on how to use FASER and other useful university services for the students who might be doing all of this for the first time after a long break from education, and contact details for the IT services and others who could help them if they need it. If possible, ideally there would be a toilet nearby, one maybe with baby changing facilities so the parents can have access to that too. I just think this is an issue that somehow has been overlooked for too long, and really needs something done about it.
The idea has passed the voting stage and will be discussed in the next Executive Meeting.
The Executive Team has decided that Edmund Walker, the VP Education, and Tancrede Chartier, the VP Services & Comms, will lead the idea.
VP Education has been in long talks with the library and despite weeks of time and effort, they have not backed down in allowing us to have a child-friendly room there, will have to sit back and rethink where might be the next best place.
While the library has continued to stick to their position on the idea of a specific room, the VP Education has been able to advance the proposal of letting children in the library. However, this may be restricted to certain areas and/or times depending on the outcome of discussions.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.
Please click on a box above to view comments on this idea