Support with Housing
The student accommodation available in Southend is prohibitively expensive, particularly to Nursing Students who are on limited bursaries and due to placements cannot work much outside University hours to top up their income. However, often private landlords can take advantage of students, or provide unsuitable accommodation. If the SU in Southend had a facility to offer or recommend affordable and suitable private lets in Southend, this could benefit future students.
This is part of Ernest’s manifesto. He has had several meetings with SU Lets and the outcome was that they will approach it in 2 phases. First phase is to provide packs for students with regards to how they can get their deposit back as well as any legality involved. The second phase is to work with the council to provide accreditation for landlords in Southend. They will do this by involving the Southend campus manager as well as the Registrar. Their next meeting is on the 7th of December. The packs however will be ready next term.
Ernest had a couple of meetings with the manager of SU Lets in Colchester and she agreed to provide good letting guide packs for students in a couple of weeks. Also, he is in the process of preparing a paper to the Southend Council to offer accreditation to landlords in Southend.
SU Homes have written a 'Good Lettings Guide' but unfortunately there has been a delay in getting them printed. Meaning these guides should be coming out in the near future. Unfortunately VP Southend hasn't been able to meet with the SU Homes manager and the Southend Campus manager to discuss the next steps of the idea, an accreditation system. These are meetings that need to happen before this part of the idea can be progressed, as it will include a lot of case study work. Anything that is not completed by the end of June will be handed over to the VP Southend Elect to take forward.
HAVE YOUR SAY
HOW it works
- Once the idea has been approved students will have 5 days to make suggestions to improve the idea.
- If suggestions are made and accepted by the proposer than the Union Chair will approve the final idea before voting opens.
- Voting will then open for five days.
- Ideas will only be considered by the Students' Union Executive if they receive at least 25 yes votes or 40% of the vote being yes, which ever number is the greatest.
- The idea will be accepted by the Executive if over 60% of the vote supports the idea. If it is inbetween 40% and 60% it will be referred to an All Student Meeting. If the idea gets over 60% of members supporting the Students' Union Executive can still refer the idea to an All Student Meeting.
Please click on a box above to view comments on this idea