I need to find somewhere to live
WHAT ABOUT DAY TO DAY CHORES - HOW CAN EVERYONE DO THEIR SHARE?
- It can be a good idea to sit down with all your house mates at the beginning of the year and draw up a rota, deciding what days people do certain chores, such as cleaning, washing up, hoovering, etc. It's also a good opportunity to discuss any concerns or issues - some people may want a heads up if you're having friends over late at night, for example - and to get this sorted in writing at the beginning of the tenancy will help a lot.
HOW SHOULD WE ORGANISE PAYING THE BILLS?
- Sometimes it can help to designate one person to deal with the landlord and paying bills etc., then other tenants split then bills and pay this person. Make sure you only agree to what you're comfortable with though.
WHAT IF I DON'T GET ALONG WITH MY HOUSE MATES?
- This is something the street reps can help with - drop them an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. You could also try the SU Advice Centre on Square 3 - their contact details and opening hours are right here or you can drop them an e-mail at email@example.com.
DO I PAY COUNCIL TAX?
- No - students don't pay council tax as long as the property is only occupied by students - more info here.
WHAT IF I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT MY HOUSING CONTRACT, OR I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY LANDLORD?
- Visit the SU Advice Centre on Square 3. Their contact details and opening hours are right here or you can drop them an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on housing: http://www.essexstudent.com/advice/housing/