Everything you need to know about Essex, all in once place
Two weeks of events to help you meet, explore and celebrate.
Book your ticket for our biggest Fresher's Fair ever!
USE #ESSEXSU TO SHARE YOUR PHOTO
SAMIRA'S 5 TIPS FOR FRESHERS
Freshers is an exciting time so go out have fun, meet new people and be open minded. University is an amazing place where there is someone or a group for everyone. Just be patient and be authentic!
- You 100% need to buy freshers tickets before you get onto campus so you can organise with your flat or new mates on where you are going (or just so you can outfit plan...)
- Start taking vitamins and stock up on paracetamol, ibuprofen, and cold and flu tablets. Freshers Flu is real people! It isn’t that bad, but it is helpful to have some medication on hand for those stuffy noses.
- Wait until you have seen your accomodation and what storage you have before doing your food shop. Then stock up on canned tomatoes and pasta!
- To avoid those hangovers, leave a bottle of water and a snack by your bedside table for when you come back.
- Budget! I made a weekly budget where I planned what food to buy, dinners out and nights out. I was able to control my spending whilst still having fun!
How do I extend my student visa from the UK?
If you are an international student currently living in the UK who has had to repeat a year, or who is changing from a pre-sessional to UG, or UG to PG course, you will need to extend your Student Visa by making an application to the Home Office. SU Advice can explain the process and help you by checking your documents, including your application form, whether you are applying for yourself or also for dependents.
How can I resolve a dispute with my landlord over my deposit?
Your deposit should be held in a Deposit Protection Scheme, and if you and your landlord can’t agree about deductions you may be able to use your scheme’s dispute resolution process. If you would like some help with this, or with any other issues relating to your old or new tenancy, SU Advice will be happy to help.
I’m a Masters’ student, and I don’t think I’ll be able to submit my dissertation on time...
If extenuating circumstances mean you need more time to complete your dissertation, and you are an existing student who is due to submit your dissertation for the first time this year, your department is now allowed to authorise extensions for more than four weeks if needed. To find out more, contact your supervisor or your department’s PG administrator, and don’t forget that SU Advice is also here to support you.
GOT ANOTHER QUESTION?
SU Advice are on hand to help with whatever you may need. Find us on square 3 or visit our page
Join our community of Essex students by following us on our socials.