Driver & Passenger Charter
Colchester Borough Council (CBC) and the SU are working together to keep you, our members, safe. The Driver and Passenger Charter is now in place. This Charter sets out what you can expect from a taxi driver and what the driver can expect from you.
To report a Taxi or a Taxi Driver problem follow this link.
As a passenger, you can expect the driver to:
- Wear their identification badge at all times and produce it on request.
- Be polite and courteous.
- Take you to your destination by the most direct route unless you ask to take an alternative route.
- Charge no more than the fare on the meter or the agreed fare.
- Provide a receipt on request.
- Refuse to allow other people to share your taxi without your agreement.
- Ask your permission before eating, drinking or playing music in the vehicle.
- Carry your assistance dog without charge.
- Abide by the Code of Conduct for Carrying Vulnerable Persons.
The Driver can expect you:
- To be polite and courteous at all times and behave appropriately in the vehicle; you may be refused travel or be asked to leave the vehicle if you behave in an appropriate manner.
- To be punctual.
- To pay the correct fare; drivers can ask for the fare or a proportion of the fare in advance.
- Not to eat or drink in the vehicle.
- Not to smoke or consume alcohol in the vehicle; this is an offence.
- To wear your seat belt.
- To ensure children travelling with you are secured appropriately.
- Not to request that more people are carried than is permitted by the licence.
- To pay if, during the duration of your journey, the vehicle is soiled in any way i.e. through vomiting in the vehicle.