Emergency Contacts To Know for Loughton

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

It is extremely unlikely that you will need these emergency contacts, but being well-informed takes only a few minutes and might benefit you and your friends later on. There are nation-wide and on-campus services that you are entitled to as a student. Remember to always carry your ID with you and save key contacts on your phone, just in case.

If you are an international student, emergency services are different from country to country, and so it is important to familiarise yourself with the services offered in the UK.



If there is an emergency whilst you are on campus, phone 999.

If it is within office hours, you’ll need to phone reception afterwards to inform them of the emergency and the arrival of the emergency services on extension 5983 or 020 8508 5983.

If it is out of hours, 5pm-Midnight Monday to Saturday, please call campus security on 07825 670709 and let them know that you have contacted the emergency services.



It’s a good idea to add these numbers to your mobile to use in an emergency when out and about.

If you are in an emergency off campus that requires urgent attention from the emergency services, call 999. You will be asked if you need an ambulance, the police or the fire services.

Police: The police in the UK are helpful and can be approached by anyone, and can be reached on the phone number 101. However, if it is an emergency, you should contact 999 and ask for the police department.
The number to the Essex Police station is 01245 491491.

Fire: If there is a fire emergency, you should call 999 as quickly as possible and ask for the fire department.

Medical: If there is a medical emergency, you should call 999 and ask for an ambulance.

If you do not need an ambulance but feel you need medical attention and you are unable to get to a local doctors surgery or it is out of hours, you can call 111. This is the NHS helpline and they will put you in contact with a doctor who will assess over the phone if you need to go to hospital, have an out of hour’s doctor visit you or if you are safe to wait till you can get to your local doctor.



If you have any non-urgent health issues that you need help with, the best option for you is to contact your GP.

You are not registered with the NHS automatically, and you must do this during your first weeks at University (you will receive an email about this during fresher’s week). And you will need to register with a GP; you will be given advice on how to do this in fresher’s week too.

If you have any questions concerning your health you can contact your local hospital or the National Health Service (NHS).

Accidents and emergency related health issues are free for everyone in the UK. If you are an EEA student you can apply for a European Health Insurance Card which will allow you to get free medical treatment in the UK. But there could be fees for more specific treatments if you are a non-EEA student.

NHS medical non-emergency – 111



Sexual health testing is free in the UK as well as most types of contraception.

Your GP surgery should have a service for this, just phone up and ask. All calls will be confidential.

SU Advice can also provide information and services for sexual health. Find them here.



Some dentists will accept National Health Service (NHS) patients, but some will not, meaning you have to pay to have an appointment. There are both NHS funded and private dentists near all three campuses, so do some research before you go to compare prices and see what different places offers. You might need to register with a dentist before you use their services.



Well-being and mental health are just as important as physical health, and we recognise this so we have services to help.

Many staff members are mental health first aid trained, and you can read more about well-being ambassadors here, if you are interested in helping others you can also sign up to be a well-being ambassador here.

SU Advice are our main service that provides help and information on mental health and well-being.


You can also use the counselling directory to find local support outside of the university.

The university also has a support network for students.

If you need help and support for mental and emotional health the university also have a page with all the information you need.

Your Student Services Hub is the place to go for the information you need. They have expert advice and are happy to answer any question. You can find the details for your campus student services below.


Although based in Colchester all students are welcome to contact Nightline too. This is a confidential listening, emotional support, information and supplies service, run for students by students, with trained volunteers.

You can come in to see them on the ground floor in the Keynes Tower on the North side of Colchester campus. You can also call them on 01206 87 2020 extension 2022 and talk about any issue you might have.

If you do not want to talk to someone directly, you can send an email to

They are open from 10pm to 8am every night during term time.

Find out more here.

If you have a mental health emergency, you can contact the on-campus emergency service, which you can find details for in the emergency information section.

You can also find local emergency crisis support here.

And you can contact Samaritans here.



The UK is known for its bad weather and if you are from a warmer climate, it can be quite difficult to adjust. It is very dark during the autumn and winter months in the UK, and this is something you might not be used to.

Not being exposed to enough sun can lead to vitamin D deficiency, seasonal depression and general illnesses. If you are noticing yourself feeling very tired, unmotivated and sad, it might be because of the lack of sunlight and you might want to visit a local pharmacy for advice or your GP.

The UK also experiences really bad weather and storms occasionally, your University campus should update you on procedures during these storms, but you can update yourself on any weather warnings that have been released in your local area using BBC Weather (there is an app for this too where you can set up alerts).


No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.