What is a Referendum?

Strike Compensation - there may be another way...

The University have informed us that they will not be offering reimbursements to students who missed teaching due to strikes. Read on to see how you can challenge this decision.

No ratings yet. Log in to rate.

A year of strikes.

We know many of you have been affected by lecturers taking part in strike action over the last 12 months. The University has made it clear to us that they will not be reimbursing students for lost teaching time.

If you feel like you have been adversely affected by the strike action, there is another route you can go down to challenge for compensation.

The OIA (Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education - OIAHE) is an independent body set up to review student complaints. Read on to see how you can make an official complaint to the OIA.

Contact Essex first.

The OIA will only consider complaints if a student has followed the Universities internal complaints process first. The SU Advice Team can help you with making a complaint to your department.

If you are not satisfied with the response from your department, you can make a formal complaint to the University. This will be investigated independently from your department. Once the official complaint has been investigated you will receive a response and can assess your options.

Get in touch with the OIA.

Following the response from the University, if you are not satisfied you can make a case to the OIA. There is no guarantee that compensation will be awarded but there are a number of examples when the OIA have ruled in favour of students. For example, in 2018, the OIA advised one university to give an international student £1,283.75 over the industrial action.

The best way to contact the OIA is by signing up to their portal. Or you can complete their specific Industrial action complaint form. A link for this is below.

OIA Complaint Form - Industrial Action (oiahe.org.uk)

As your SU we are constantly feeding back students views to the University. If you want to have your say about strikes or would like further support, you can email us at sureps@essex.ac.uk



No comments have been made. Please log in to comment.