Dear SU members,
With everything that is going on at the moment, we are fully aware there may be a number of unanswered questions and that, rightly so, you may be worried.
This is a position we have never found ourselves in before, and as we are navigating it together, we are trying to learn about the best actions we can take to support you. Every day brings a new challenge, and a different understanding of the position that we are in.
As your student representatives we just wanted to reassure you that we are putting your safety, health and concerns at the forefront of the conversations we are having with both the University and our own Students’ Union permanent staff.
From the many conversations we have had with students so far, we are gathering together all the questions you have for us, and will address them as more information comes to light. Please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us if you feel like we haven’t addressed your concerns, and more information on how you can do that will be at the end of this email.
As most of you may have seen from the email sent out by the Vice Chancellor on Friday the 13th at 3:00 PM, these are some of the actions that the University has taken:
- All on campus face to face teaching and supervision has been suspended. From today, everything will be delivered online
- During the summer term, where possible, there will be no physical examinations. Alternative methods of assessment are being considered in order to ensure that degrees can be awarded. This is valid for both UG and taught PG students.
- All University public events and gatherings are suspended.
- The libraries across Colchester and Loughton are closed.
- As of Thursday 26th March at 5pm the Gateway Building will be closed to both staff and students until further notice.
- The Forum Building has closed to all staff and students until further notice.
- Southend campus Student Services Hub, will be closed until further notice starting 17th March. Students are encouraged to contact support services through:
- The Wellbeing team will be operating an online service. Students can contact the wellbeing team via this online form and indicate whether they wish an appointment by phone, zoom or skype.
- Anyone wishing to contact the Careers team for advice and guidance again by telephone, zoom or skype appointment can do so via firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re following the guidelines given to us by the University, and these are some of the immediate measures that we have put in place as a Student’s Union:
For SU Events, and Just Play
- All University public events and gatherings have been suspended.
- All Just Play Southend events have been cancelled until further notice.
For SU Services, Shops and Venues
- SU Lounge - The SU Lounge will be closed until further notice as of March 17th.
- The Mezz - The Mezz is closed until further notice.
- SU Office - The SU Office in The Forum is now closed until further notice.
- SU Advice - All face-to-face appointments have been suspended until further notive, online 1-2-1 appointments can be booked by contacting the SU advice team via email email@example.com or calling 07395 955656 / 07511 303169 between 10am-4pm Monday to Friday.
This is a live situation and updates are coming in frequently, so please keep an eye out for our social media posts and blog posts, where we will be answering student related queries that fall within our roles as Sabbatical Officers.
For any COVID-19 specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as the University’s dedicated team will have more up to date guidance than us.
If you have any urgent queries or concerns, we are here as your representatives and will be bringing your feedback to the University. Please don’t hesitate to contact us as follows:
- Asha Ali – SU President, in charge of the running of the SU and its strategic decisions; continuing to liaise with the University’s senior management team (email@example.com)
- Greta Remeikaite – VP Southend, email for any Southend specific concerns, including but not limited to Southend Venues and University’s tailored communication (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Laura Robinson – VP Education, representing your educational interest; email for any concerns regarding your department’s response to COVID-19 (email@example.com)
- Ana Bichir – VP Welfare; email for any concerns regarding your welfare during this time, including but not limited to finances, wellbeing, accessibility and Support Services response (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Jake Tran – VP International, email for any issues that you face as a result of being an international student during this time (email@example.com)
- Molly Purcell – VP Services and Engagement, email for any concerns regarding Services and student staffing (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Michael Banahene – VP Student Experience, email for any concerns regarding Sports, Societies and vTeam (email@example.com)
Thank you for the patience and understanding. This is a time when we can help each other as a community and we hope we can rise up to your needs.
Your SU Sabbatical Team
P.S. Here is a list of important websites:
University’s Latest Updates
NHS Information and Advice
Sabbatical Officers Blog
SU Southend Instagram – will be providing updates
SU Southend Facebook – will be providing updates