Hi, Hey, Hello!
Whether you are a current student, a newcomer, a prospective sponsor, or simply wander around the University's Website; on behalf of the entire executive committee, WELCOME to Essex Bar Society's Official Webpage!
Below you can find some essential information about our society in a FAQ-like format. If you happen to have more questions, please do not hesitate to message us via our social media or send us an email. Our email address is: Essex.Bar.Society2022@gmail.com
The Essex Bar Society has an important place in the history of our university as an important lynchpin in the professional development of barristers. We recognise the barriers to entry that the profession is perceived to have, and therefore offer free membership to students wishing to explore a career at the Bar, enabling anyone to sign up. Out of 100 barristers, 80 of those would have attended Oxbridge, 12 of the remaining would have attended a Russel Group University, leaving us belonging to the remaining 8. It is no secret that becoming a barrister is a tremendous feat, Essex Bar Society is committed and nurturing the talented group of individuals that belong to our university's community to make the Bar a more representative and inclusive place. Together we are stronger, together We Are Essex.
- Okay, but what is this society for?
Great question! The fundamental aim of the Essex Bar Society is to provide its members with knowledge about legal institutions and how they operate, teach members about different employment opportunities within the legal field, develop new and enhance existing skills that could positively impact members’ future employability, and give members vital chances to meet and share experience and expertise with peers at different levels toward their career.
- Very well, but is it for me?
Absolutely! The Essex Bar Society membership is inclusive and not limited to those undertaking legal studies or pursuing a legal career path. We offer events that anyone can enjoy and find educational. Therefore, if you are unsure whether this society is for you, think no further and apply!
The Essex Bar Society is currently developing plans and will share more information after our first official meeting of the year. We value our members' opinions and want to hear from YOU about your expectations for upcoming semesters. In the meantime, we have compiled a list of events that the Essex Bar Society has hosted in the past.
Here's a brief description of each type of event:
- Workshops on qualifying as a barrister: These workshops include talks from external speakers who provide valuable insights on what it takes to qualify as a barrister.
- Mooting: Mooting is a simulation of a court hearing in which academics take on the role of judges or tribunals to provide feedback to participants.
- Legal debating: This event provides an opportunity for participants to engage in debates on legal topics and improve their public speaking skills.
- Workshops on qualifying as a solicitor: Similar to the workshops on qualifying as a barrister, these sessions provide insights into what it takes to qualify as a solicitor.
- Workshops on developing lawyers’ skills & qualities: These workshops focus on developing the skills and qualities that are essential for success in the legal profession.
- Talks about legal experience: These talks offer insights on what it's like to work in the legal profession, as shared by experienced legal professionals.
- Connecting opportunities: This event provides an opportunity for members to connect with legal professionals and network with other members.
- Tours/visits: These events offer members the chance to visit legal institutions and gain insights into their operations.
- Panels: Panels bring together legal experts to discuss a specific legal topic and provide insights on the subject matter.
- Legal CV check-in sessions: These events focus on improving members' CVs and job prospects by providing valuable tips and insights on how to build an impressive CV.
---> WHAT'S ON? <---
♦ Collaboration with the Law Society and ELSA ♦
Our executive committee plans to work closely with both the Law Society and ELSA to create a community of aspiring legal professionals supporting each other to work towards our shared goals. We have plans to organise mooting competitions and collaborative activities to develop your advocacy skills, confidence and career prospects.
♦ Internal Moot ♦
We have delegated some executives to prepare the moot court case briefs, and we will soon follow up with an email on how to sign up. If you have any questions or suggestions or would like help with preparation, please feel free to message either the executives or the Society. Executive members delegated to work in this regard:
♦ Society Trip ♦
This academic year we will make several trips to the Inn's of Court in London, as well as trips to the local magistrates court, the Old Bailey, and the Royal Courts of Justice. Our first trip will be a tour of Inner Temple, one of the Inns of Court. Spaces are limited so register your interest as soon as possible, everyone is welcome but spaces are limited so will be prioritised for students intending to practice at the Bar. You can find out more and register your interest on our Society’s webpage in the “What’s On” section. Claim your space now!
Information about further trips will follow soon. Feel free to drop us an email or message on our WhatsApp with suggestions, or if you would like to be involved!
♦ Your say ♦
If you wish we did any other events, please email any executive member with your suggestions!
MAKE SURE TO JOIN OUR SOCIAL MEDIA!
|Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, University of Essex Colchester Campus, Student Union, Bar Society